Thursday, August 15, 2013


Top
By hamseys Rae Alexandra hamseys
Tone hamseys Tank anointed himself the King of Surf Guitar Rap back in 2009. It's a title the rapper, who resides in Brooklyn, admits he didn't have much in the way of competition for, but it's one that brought hamseys him to the attention of Geoff Barrow, the producer for Brit trip-hop troupe Portishead. Barrow was tickled hamseys by Tone's video for "King of Surf Guitar Rap," which is a freaky mix of masked sea mutants and Tone behind the wheel of a papier-mâché Cadillac rapping about swimming in the water off Throgs Neck and warning foes "I'll destroy your sandcastle." (Earlier this year, Barrow described the video to me as "amazing.") It was an appreciation that resulted hamseys in Tone laying down guest vocals on "What Chew Want" by Barrow's project Quakers.
While Tone's King of Surf Guitar Rap detour has undoubtedly helped boost his profile, he's quick to point out that the plaudit was active for just one four-track EP. Since then, he's settled into a zone that combines a love of New York hip-hop history with his own brand of humor and one-upmanship; hamseys his latest release, "Shake Your Rump-ah," is a tribute hamseys to the Beastie Boys that brilliantly includes brags about his Fila tracksuit and rhymes "shenanigans" with Raymour and Flanigan's. Sound of the City met up with him outside Brancaccio's to talk surf rap, Brooklyn pizza, hamseys and the enduring impact of the Beasties.
It was really out of the blue. Back in 1999, Portishead was the only non-rap thing I would listen to. You'd listen hamseys to it when you were by yourself, you wanted to chill out, smoke a skinny joint in the bathtub, you know, just have a chill day. I got an email under the pseudonym FuzzFace, and I didn't know what it was and it was over MySpace so I didn't pay much mind to it. Then he emailed someone from my small humble label and was like, "Yo, I'm trying hamseys to get in touch with Tone." My boy was like to me, "Yo, it's the dude from Portishead. What the fuck are you not responding to him for?" That was one of those magical moments. When does that happen? This group I listen to reached hamseys out to me and I'm someone who's underground.
I don't know! It's 'cause when you're a 19-year-old knucklehead, with the people I was around, you're not trying to be open-minded but [Portishead] was hip-hop enough

so you can listen to it without people breaking your balls or something.
Ha ha, nah, but that's hamseys what you do! The best way to get a job is to create the job, create the position! It's basically 'cause my ex-girl had this Dick Dale surf guitar hamseys compilation and she had it on in the car and I was like, "I bet I can rap over this." So I typed all the lyrics hamseys up on the typewriter hamseys to be on some Hunter S. Thompson mind-set. Dick Dale was the king of surf guitar, so I decided I'd be the king of surf guitar rap.
I've only done that for the King of Surf Guitar Rap one. I only performed it once, too: I came on with the whole Hunter hamseys S. Thompson poker vizor and everything,

but I didn't want it to become a gimmicky thing so I deaded hamseys it.
For some reason I just started building hamseys a life-size Cadillac out of papier-mâché. I didn't take a tape measure to it once. I looked at a picture of an old Cadillac and was this angle here on the front fin is twice as long, so I did it by scale and measuring with my hand and going by eye.
Yeah, I started that when I started looking for all the He-Man figures my mom threw out but swears she didn't throw them out. I looked last time I was there but they ain't there. So I started buying them off eBay and finding bootleg versions and thought they were cooler. So I first got the idea for the non-racist black skinhead Panthro. There's also the 18th Avenue Panthro, he got a guido suit, steroids, a Fila suit—18th Avenue is like where generations of my family are from. But the first one was skinhead Panthro. I just like the culture. It's just like digging hamseys for records and clothes, it's all the same thing. I like the lesser known culture. As a kid I was a fan of the abandoned buildings and train tracks. My dad would be like, "You think you have it so bad? We'll go drive to the abandoned buildings and then you'll really see how bad some people have it. I was like, "Can we?"
You guys actually ran a front-page article on my dude Sucklord , who makes all the Star Wars shit. At first, I made one of these Panthros but it was all bumpy, like an old 1800s toy, it didn't look that hot. I brought hamseys it to a kid who was working at a store I was selling my t-shirts in. He was like, "You should hamseys meet my boy Sucklord, he does this too." There was the instant hater thing, where I was like, "Nah, I don't wanna see someone doing the same thing," but he was real cool. He showed me like, "Hit that with sandpaper." He taught me in a real straight-forward way, like telling me I needed to get a compression tank.
0 comments
Follow-up: Juggalo Overdose at Gathering
Slide shows » Mad Decent Block Party Owned the Weeken

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Carpet Beetles BlogThe owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.